This is a link you want

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Interview with TAKE THAT VILE FIEND

TAKE THAT VILE FIEND started in 2006 with a demo that was never really released officially. It wasn't until 2015 that the "Excreted brain matters" CD came out and things stated to move on a little more steady. But read yourself what the man has to say...


⍰ I just heard the news about a guy who broke into your rehearsal space and tried to steal that precious drumstick you conquered yourself after a bloody fight during a Slipknot gig!!!! During his escape the thief broke his wrist falling into the bathtub you carefully constructed from images of your favorite scene in “I spit on your grave”. What are you going to do about this now?

➤ Lament the fact that I have never actually been to a Slipknot concert, ring my house & contents insurance provider, kick myself for being a non-confrontational pathetic husk of a man and probably contemplate why I built a bathtub in my rehearsal space in the first place. 

⍰ What inspired you to start TAKE THAT VILE FIEND? You released your debut full-length album few years ago, how’s the reactions been? You’re still playing that wicked goregrind style on your newest outputs, do you regret nothing at all?

➤  The urge to play energetic crusty goregrind was too strong to not do something, and since having kids kills having time to jam regularly, starting a band with myself seemed like the easier option. Especially when the majority of recordings are improvised drums with riffs and vocals slapped on top with minimal forethought.

I've had lots of positive feedback on the album and TTVF more generally which is cool, but most importantly I think it's cool. It will always be a pitch shifted goregrind band in some capacity, I have plenty of other stupid bands for non mega tuff brutal ideas.


⍰ In many cases goregrind has a tendency to not actually sound like goregrind at all. Where do you draw the line? What does not belong in there? What are your favorite bands in the genre and which one is the most underrated one?

➤ I'm too hypocritical to really lay down a do's and don'ts, mostly just keep shitty weak metal twiddling away from what should be nothing more than first 6 frets monotony. I really like 100% Gore Beat/Seuchenherd's use of gory elements in what is an otherwise raging hardcore/grind sound. Stupid Eurowave of tuppa tuppa grindcore dance party music tends to push the limits a bit for me. I actually am less elitist about goregrind than grindcore more generally I've come to realise. I like ya classic Regurgitate style D-Beat driven crusty goregrind, spastic flutter-blasting Brazilian nastiness, 90's/00's grooviness, Putrefaction In Progress-wave of the last decade, and a whole mess of drum machine/basement dweller sleaziness of the 2000's. I tend to lean towards nasty sounding energetic stuff with 'oomph' and 'phwoar' moments, yet am just as appreciative of sloppy, death-tinged, ignorant sickness.

⍰ If you could change one release from a grind/noisecore related band that disappointed you… which one would you pick out? What would you change about it and which instrument would you want to play trying to fix it?

➤ Defecation - 'Whatever that horrible 2nd album that Mitch did by himself was called'

I would kick out mitch and play all the instruments myself, trying to copy the first LP with added Righteous Pigs climbing riffs and none of that stupid proto-metal weird boring chord shit he is now incapable of not writing into every song.


⍰ Now that everyone posts their music on YouTube and Bandcamp and before that on MySpace, how much has really changed in the scene after all? Why do you think it’s still worth it putting out physical releases or is it more like a casual job you have to fulfill so you can chop it off your list to finish an “official” release?

➤ I grew up hoarding mp3's over P2P file sharing on dial up modems, being precious about people sharing your music is stupid, especially when we're talking goregrind or noisy music in general. You should be glad that anyone even cares enough to steal your music, what with all the quality music options Sony and Warner Bros make available to us at a reasonable price. I enjoy the bandcamp model of "pay what you want" where $0 is still a valid option. Paying for mp3's is stupid, thats why I like being able to have a good quality version of my stuff available for free. Making money back from releases is impossible anyway, might as well allow people to hear it in the vain hope they might buy the physical version down the track. The old argument of 'if people can get it for free they won't buy the real thing' is invalid nowadays cos only music nerds and pokemon collectors buy anything anyway.

⍰ I heard you are playing in few other bands, even if it might be no more than one or two!? Any ideas what upcoming releases your vile listeners can expect? Would you like to go on tour with one of them? What band would you want to bring with you if you had the choice?

➤ There is a lot bands on paper, some more active than others but all with releases being sat on because I'm a terrible procrastinater. Internal Rot, Clogged, Umbilical Tentacle & Blarghstrad are all bands that are gigging semi-regularly at least and have releases that 'should' see the light of day this year. Drownd is another solo thing, angry lofi nu metal, tape collection of demos and covers will probably be the next Radical Blarghst release. Umbilical Tentacle has first dibs on dragging my arse to Japan for some gigs whenever I tone down my busy dad lifestyle of the past few years. I'd love to make it over to Europe at some point, and Canada/US again, if for nothing else than the gutbusting fast food options.

⍰ Hope you enjoyed the interview! Last words are yours…

➤ Thanks for giving enough of a shit to ask me questions about my poor choice of hobby and best of luck with your old man blogging.






Discography


  • 2006 Demo
  • 2015 "Excreted brain matters" (CD)
  • 2016 split w/ Metastasis + Organs Tortured
  • 2016 split w/ Blarghstrad (TAPE)
  • 2016 "Riff Deth Noise Gore"
  • 2017 split w/ Cystoblastosis + Nasty Face + Regular Sized Rudy (TAPE)
  • 2017 split w/ Sulfuric Cautery (7" EP)


Info/Contact