This is a link you want

Friday, September 22, 2017

CARNAL TRASH / SYMPTOMATIC EXHUMED - split

I read something along the line of “Goregrind in the vein of Autophagia” from the label that announced the release. I didn’t really expect anything though, but when I listened to it I couldn’t believe my ears! The riffs, the song structures, the vocals... it’s all there in its fullest glory! I never heard a band getting so close to that style! On top of that you’ll hear the best drum programming I have witnessed so far. Makes me wonder why you’d even need to find a real drummer for such kind of project, so really… fuck a drummer! The recording really sounds loud and powerful and in this case slightly different than Autophagia. But you won’t be able to (and probably don’t really want to) reproduce this sound anymore. It’s that untouched charm of the 90ths/early millennium era that isn’t really supposed to exist 15-20 years later. Anyway, Carnal Trash is for all those who never can’t get enough of this style, and now just want to hear some more “spastic goregrind”...

Sadly it’s quite a downfall to move on to the Symptomatic Exhumed tracks! I checked some other recordings of this project and they were quite good, but the recording quality on this one is so abysmal you can’t really bring yourself through it. Well I did anyway and for the sake of this review listened to this thing a good bunch of times. There’s a few goofy riffs here and there but otherwise the guitar work doesn’t sound all too bad, sometimes even very good! It’s a good mixture of crust, grind and maybe even some Mortician worshipping. It’s not really very noisy but it’s one catastrophic mix that makes the whole thing appear very poor. The guitars are so thin and low in the mix that you can’t barely hear them unless you turn the volume all up. If you do this, unfortunately you’re getting crushed by the movie intros, which are of course louder. The drum programming is probably alright but mixed really bad that at normal volume you can basically only hear cymbals and might only guess there’s some more to it. You can only hear the other parts of the “drum kit” if you turn up the volume all the way, so in the end same problem we had with guitars. Like I said before there’s other recordings I heard from this project during the same time period without those issues so I don’t really understand what happened here!? I can’t really believe this was done on purpose either? Maybe the guy’s been wasted as fuck and accidentally sent in a brutal rough mix?? 

If the Symptomatic Exhumed tracks had been done right this would be an awfully good split as I believe there’s a good potential in this project nevertheless! But in this case I can only leave a positive opinion on the Carnal Trash material.

Bandcamp: